Thursday, September 09, 2004

Back Home After Hurricane Frances

I brought the familly back home today after being at my folks house for five nights waiting out hurricane Frances and its aftermath. It's nice to be home again!

I actually drove up to Boynton to check up on our house with my dad on Monday. Our place did fairly well. We lost some roof shingles, had some damage to our wooden fence, and have slightly thinner trees now, but that's about it. We also ended up losing everithing in our fridge and freezer. My dad and I threw all that out when we were here. Seems we lost power on Friday, Sept. 3, at night (lucky that we left that morning). We found out we had power from one of our neighbors this morning so we packed everything back up again and headed home. I love staying with my parents and everything, but it's just not the same as being in your own house. I think they're going to miss having the kids there a lot!

Preparing for this damn hurricane was a royal pain in the butt! Since our house was built just prior to hurricane Andrew in 1992 (and we've slacked on getting them on our own), we don't have hurricane shutters. I started our preparations by running out to home depot to get plywood to board up the windows. This was the Wednesday before the storm at 10:30 in the moring. I was in line about 2 hours before I got the maximum 15 sheets that they would give me. I also bought a bunch of 2x4x12's that I used to build a wall across my lanai. Unfortunately, the 15 sheets was 2 sheets short of what I needed. I wasn't going to wait in line again, especially since I really didn't notice that I needed more until Thursday evening. By then the lines were much longer and the weather was starting to turn crappy. I started looking around until it struck me... "Hey... the chip cooker is in a crate... a wooden crate!" It was like I ordered the thing exactly to fit our front office window. I built a frame out of the studs and drilled one of the large faces of the crate and one small scrap piece directly into the space. The best thing is that "The Chippery" and "Fragile - Handle With Care" were clearly visible for all of the neighbors to see. See for yourself in the picture:

Chip Cooker Crate Covering Window

No comments: