Monday, July 12, 2004

Loss of Data

Nothing is quite as bad as losing data! In the past 24 hours I've lost every piece of digital information I had for the Chippery and the covered call site. This includes business plan, financial projections, digital copies of contracts, web site source code and other documents, etc.

The first to go was my USB drive. I use this to take the working copies of important documents from computer to computer. I'm not sure if It fell out of my pocket when I pulled my keys out somewhere or if it just fell off the top of the desk or something, but I've looked everywhere and can't find it. To make matters worse, we had a power failure at home yesterday and afterwards, my computer is booting straight into an XP Blue Screen. I've run all of the manufacturer's hardware diagnostic utilities (which didn't find anything) and left it running the old CHKDSK /r from the Windows Recovery Console to see if anything works. I'm usually pretty good about backing up my jumpdrive to the computer, but I don't remember when the last time I did a full back up was. We'll see if anything comes back to life.

Update
I was able to recover my home PC's drive and most of the data in it. Unfortunately, no business plan to be found. The financial spreadsheet that I had on that PC are also very old. Argh!!!

No comments: