Thursday, July 22, 2004

Architects and More Contractors

I received the "approved as noted" set of drawings back from the landlord and I've been trying to hire an architect to complete the plans for construction. The letter that accompanied the prints from the landlord stated that I had to revise the plans with the comments that were made and resubmit within 14 days - and there were plenty of comments. Some not so serious, but others seemed fairly bad. Of note were some that called for changing some of the material finishes the Chippery designer chose. The one that sticks in my mind is the disapproval of the floring selection. I could work on incorporating these changes myself, but it would take me way too long, and I would still have to find an architect to sign and seal the construction drawings so I'm looking for a local architect with experience working in this particular mall.

Coincidentally, I received a call from a representative of a local company called StoreTech. These guys have been in the retail construction business for more than 20 years and have a fairly strong portfolio. This firm would be able to take the job from begining to end and only farm out the electrical and mechanical work. I met with the rep and found that they have done work in Wellington Green, almost directly below my space. After speaking with the rep and the owner, they were willing to find an architect to work on the plans for construction and permitting. I made some modifications to their contract and one of those changes required that they check back with the architect. Unfortunately, I've lost a day because it appears the architect has not responded. In the mean time, I've interviewed another local architect that I'm willing to give the work to if these guys can't respond by tomorrow morning.

No comments: