Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Full Timer

I should mention that I work for Motorola's Personal Communications Sector. I've been there since December 6, 1999. Lately, we've been hearing stronger rumors that the facility I'm in will be closing soon. I've lived under that threat since late 2000. The only Motorola that I know is the one that has been laying off people every quarter since the bubble burst. The rumors were stronger and were being confirmed all over.

My wife has always been very supportive of all my side projects. She's always had a very tight grip on the purse strings, but she understood that it takes a certain amount of investment to make anything work. We've been talking and planning our contingency plan for a long time. She had not worked full time since she was about seven months pregnant with Stephanie, our daughter. Now she was three months away from the birth of our second child, Danny. We planned on having me stay at home to take care of the kids (if I was laid off at least three months after Danny's birth) and have her go back to work full time.

Yesterday, I left her watching The Thomas Crown Affair (her favorite movie of all time) to get coffee for us. When I got back, she said we had to take more risks! We were still young and we've built up everything we have in a very short amount of time. If we took a risk and failed then we would be able to rebuild quickly. If we didn't do it now, we wouldn't do it at all! WOW! She said that she wanted me to figure out something to try and we would be in it all the way. How fricking envigorating! That was one of the best motivational moments of our lives.

No comments: